Parents Apart is a collaborative program of Family Services of Central Massachusetts and the U.
Mass. Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry in Worcester, MA. This program, developed by
Geri Fuhrman, PSY.D and Joe McGill, LICSW at University Of Mass. Medical Center, is based on
research. literature, and experience.
What Will I Learn?
This seminar is specifically designed to:
- Assist parents in understanding their own divorce experience
- Provide an overview of children's reactions to divorce
- Educate parents as to the developmental needs of children
- Train parents to help children cope with divorce and minimize their trauma
What Topics Are Covered?
- Loss, grief, and healing
- Effective parent-child communication
- Process of divorce
- Developmental stages of children
- Resources for parents and children
- Identifying problem areas
Who Are Your Trainers?
The group leaders are highly regarded mental health professionals who are specifically trained
to present this material. All of the trainers have devoted a great deal of their private
practice to issues dealing with families of divorce. Also, many professionals in this program
are members of The Divorce Center and have presented many times at our seminars.
This course consists of two sessions totaling five hours. We offer this seminar once a month
in two locations, Braintree and Waltham.
Calendar of Meetings >>